Friday, April 27, 2007

Boxers or Briefs

I do the vast majority of my writing late when my two boys are either asleep or at school, and I started this endeavor when the oldest was just a newborn. These two facts combined meant that neither of my boys fully comprehended the fact that I am a writer.

Every night before bed I read them something and for a good while now, The Captain Underpants books by Dav Pilkey have been at the top of their list. Nothing is funnier to a four and six year old boy than an underwear clad superhero that relies on wedgie power.

I told you all of that just so I could relay this story. Every Monday evening I attend a critique group. We meet read a bit of our work offer suggestions and comments on each others work. So a Monday or two back I'm getting ready to leave and my oldest asks where I'm going.

"To a meeting," I say.
"You always go to meetings," he responds.
This is almost like a script at this point so I know what is coming next.
"Can I go with you?"
"No, the meeting is for adults only."

Usually this the end of our discussion, but this time he looks up at me and asks, "But what do you do at your meeting?" I explained that we all look at each others books and help make corrections, kind of like his kindergarten teacher does his school work. He responded by picking up a book from the nearby coffee table and saying, "Are you taking this one?" I laughed and said no I'm taking my book, the one I've been writing."

His blue eyes widened with awe. "You wrote a book? Can I read it?"
"No, Daddy's books are for adults."
For half a second there I was really cool but already I could see the light in his eyes dimming so I explained that some books are for kids, Like Captain Underpants and that some are for adults."
His eyes widened again as he said, "You mean a person writes Captain Underpants?"
I nodded and said, "Yes, a man named Dav Pilkey."
That is when my son stared straight up at me and said, "I'd rather got to a meeting with him."

No comments: