Sunday, October 7, 2007

Children of the Corn

I've said it before but I'll repeat it again. Halloween is big around my house. My wife is an avid holiday decorator and Halloween might just be bigger than Christmas when it comes to making the place over. She collects Department 56 village pieces and the Halloween village she constructs is much larger than the one for Christmas.


Then there is the fact my oldest son was born on Halloween. So when we heard that a local farmer had turned his cornfield into a giant maze and had all kinds of other fun fall and Halloween related activities we had to go check it out. The The Amazingly Fun Farm as it is called sits only about four or five miles form my house. Here is an aerial picture of the maze.


The Buffalo is the mascot of West Texas A&M university which is in the small town of Canyon, Texas just south of Amarillo.

The maze was really cool and every so often you come upon a place where you can answer a question for a clue which direction to turn. My family made their way through the twists and turn in about forty five minutes. I'd say the filed covers about ten acres so it was a good bit of walking.

Afterwards the boys picked their own pumpkins right out int he field. Overall we had a great time and I highly recommend it as a family activity if you have anything like this near you.

Just thought I'd let y'all know what I've been up to.

12 comments:

Penelope said...

How cool: a "maize" maze!!!

-- P

WordVixen said...

Wow! Just... wow.

cher said...

that's really cool. and really well done. i can't imagine being that focussed on anything to create something like that.

preTzel said...

There is one somewhere near our home as well but we've never taken the boys to it. We have been in a corn ma(i)ze but it was a haunted one. (Very lame one at that.) The boys did like it. We're thinking of taking them to more haunted houses this year but the youngest one kind of freaked out last year at the one (and first) we took him to last year. I thought he was kidding until we got to the van and his little blue eyes went from o - o to O - O and he was sobbing like nobody's business. Errm, don't tell anyone I told ya that, k? K, thanx. :)

Patti said...

i am so jealous. i wanna play....

Phats said...

That's cool, I have never been too big on Halloween, but I do like dressing up as an adult and not getting weird looks.

Children of the corn = Freaky Movie!

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

THat is very cool!!!

Anonymous said...

That maze is just amazing. Sorry. But it is cool.

Charles Gramlich said...

That sounds like a lot of fun. I'm jealous. So cool when people take time to do such neat things.

SALLY VAUGHAN said...

brings back memories of my first halloween in texas. i went to a similar maze in Clarendon. it was cut out in the shape of the Charles goodnight and Buffalo portrait - not that i cared too much about that when i was in there, in the pitch dark with only a small flashlight, as ghouls and masked, chain-saw wielding mad-men jumped out at us from all directions ..frankly the scariest thing ive ever let myself in for. Be warned! But do it :-#

JM said...

The movie Children of the Corn scares me to this day!!

Mr. Shife said...

Pretty fricken' sweet. We have a lot of those around here, but your maize looks really cool. Did you get any good prank ideas for your co-worker yet?