Monday, January 7, 2008

Good Times

Yeah the picture stinks, but all I had was my cellphone and after a few pitchers of Shiner Bock my hand wasn't as steady as it should be. This is the stage, small as it may be, of my favorite nightspot in all of the world. The Golden Light Cantina sits on part of historic Route 66 and they only sale beer and wine so if you want anything harder you'll have to bring your own. Yes, they do allow that.

Anyway, This shot is from Friday night and the fellows up on stage call themselves Rusty Sheriffs Badge. One played the acoustic guitar and the other the mandolin. I believe they said they were from Wichita Kansas. I knew right away they were not from Texas since they were drinking Lone Star Beer.

*Hint* For you non Texans. No one native to The Lone Star state actually drinks Lone Star beer. The stuff is nasty. It is for tourists and movie purposes only. Of Texas brews, Shiner Bock is by far tastier and more widely consumed than Lone Star. At least in this day and age so if you ever stop in for a visit don't order a Lone Star unless you want everyone to know you're a foreigner. Yes, anyone not born and raised in Texas is a foreigner regardless if you hail from Oklahoma, Delaware or Poland.

The band was pretty good although I'm not a huge bluegrass fan and that was their direction. They did a solid job on the classic song Long Black Veil and they added enough dysfunction with songs like Cocaine Gonna Kill My Baby Dead to make it fun. It was a bit too smoky, but the Shiner was cold and the friends were good so overall a fine night with some live music. I highly recommend it if you ever get this way.

For more about the Golden Light and to read about my other adventures there read this post about my life of crime.

16 comments:

Spy Scribbler said...

LOL. My DH spent a good twenty or so years living there, and it took decades for him to stop believing he was still a Texan. :-)

Or maybe he still does. He just doesn't wear the hat anymore.

alex keto said...

I took the "Are you Texan?" test a while back and they must have gotten me confused with a foreigner because they said I was something like a "dam on the Yangtze" which didn't make no sense since that's in China.
Whatever

Patti said...

i second the nas-tay lone star rule. shiner rocks. 'nuff said.

Appletini said...

Looks like a VERY cool place.
Do they serve appletinis? ;P

CamiKaos said...

personally that is how i think all concert images should look.

Vesper said...

What a perfect name - "Golden Light Cantina"!
Thanks for the info on beers! :-) Shiner Bock shall be... :-)

Marla said...

Looks like fun! Now I know what beer to ask for if we ever make it to Texas.

Mom In Scrubs said...

JeepMan is a beer connoisseur (I can't believe I spelled that right on the first try!), and he gives Shiner Bock a thumbs-up. He was in 7th Heaven when we recently got Fat Tire available commerically in Collegeville. Don't know if he has ever tried Lone Star but I'll steer him away.

And isn't it "frr-nrs?" The Texan I know is fond of dropping the vowels...=P

Travis Erwin said...

Spyscribbler - A true Texan never stops believing. :)

Alex - If the feather fits, call it macaroni.

Patti - From one Texan to another, thanks for backing me up.

Appletini - Nope, nothing that fancy.

Camikaos - Me too.

Vesper - There is a cafe next door by the same name.

Marla - Coem on down. We've always got plenty of beer on ice.

Mom in Scrubs - Vowels? What are they?

Charles Gramlich said...

Man you are right on Lone Star Beer. Stag is nearly as bad though.

NerdyRedneck Rob said...

Heh, I remember Pearl beer! Great debates could be and were held as to which was worse, Pearl or Lone Star! :)

mielikki said...

I'm a Guiness Girl, so I guess that would REALLY make me a foreigner in the Lone Star State. Though my mother was (accidentally) born in San Antonio. . .

Jay said...

Sounds like you know where to find the good times.

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

Gosh it has been such a long time since I've been in a bar let alone saw a local band perform in one. Good for you for enjoying the night.

Aaron said...

+1 for Shiner Bock.

They should pay you for advertising!

Bubblewench said...

Looks like a good time.. I used to work for Shiner Bock, well aware THAT is the beer of Texans!