Friday, December 10, 2010

Assorted Devilry

Christmas Party season is not a good time for me. Sure I enjoy the socializing, but I hate the fancy, veggie filled hor'derve trays. And many a host insists you eat. They take "No thank you," as a personal affront. So I invariably have to say, "My personal motto happens to be Lettuce is the Devil, so kindly remove your flambayed quiche ball of satanic devilry from my presence." And yet I'm invited back year after year.

*****************************
I have not been out and about on the blogosphere or Facebook as much as normal. Instead I've had tunnel vision in regards to editing a short story. As I mentioned last week I am going to be included in an ebook collection with some wildly talented and respected writer with far better publishing credentials than I have. I fear being the weak link in a strong chain so I've been working extra hard on this particular tale. 
****************************
In other news I have been elected coach for a team of 2nd graders competing in a PSIA event. PSIA stands for Private School Interscholastic Association. The event I'm coaching is storytelling. Basically the kids listen to a  story read orally to them. Wait ten minutes or so and then orally retell the tale to a panel of judge which have not read or heard the story. The main objective is not to get every last fact of the original story correct but to retell the story in an entertaining and understandable fashion. I wish they had such for adults. Not to toot my own horn but I think I would rock at this cause I'm a bullshitter from way back.
****************************

10 comments:

Old Kitty said...

You are a popular guy Mr Travis and beloved of all lettuce eating peoples!! :-)

Oh but seriously!!! Good luck with your short story editing!!!! When will we see the anthology???? How exciting!!!! Well done you!!

I can see you walking all over the opposition with the story telling contest. I think you deserve to toot your own horn as loudly as you want to!!! :-)

Take care
x

the walking man said...

Just don't give them a story from playboy and they should do fine/

JM said...

Ooh, I think I would good at retelling a story too...
When I finally hunker down and get my iPad, let me know which e-book you are on...

Charles Gramlich said...

You are one busy man, dude. Try to get some sleep too.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I think most men share your sentiments about veggies.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

The storytelling competition sounds awesome! I have a great memory and love to entertain people (aka "talking") so I would be good at that too!

Practices must be fun.

Hilary said...

The storytelling coaching sounds like a blast. Maybe we'll hear more about it sometime after the fact...

Barbara Martin said...

Lettuce is good for you.

Editing can be such a chore. Best of luck with your story.

sybil law said...

Oh man - I would LOVE that event! Especially as a kid. How cool!

Lana Gramlich said...

The PSIA event sounds interesting. Have fun, regardless!