Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Big Mo

Writing is keeping me super busy at the moment, but I'm not complaining as finally I have a bit of momentum in the decade long pursuit of making a career at what I love.

For the second year in a row I'm freelancing for a Texas based football magazine by writing profiles of the many high school teams here in the state. Friday night lights, the authentic version. Mostly I enjoy writing the profiles, especially if handed over enough info to create a decent story, but I gotta say people who chose the various school nicknames were an unimaginative bunch. There are far too many Hornets, Bulldogs, and Panthers for my liking. Where is the originality people?

For example not far south of Amarillo is the small town of Hedley, Texas. Their mascot? The Owls. Who gives a hoot? There are at least a dozen teams that claim the wise feathered one as their mascot and the words Hedley Owls doesn't even roll off the tongue all that nicely.

If I was in charge I would rename the mascot. To me they would be the Hedley Horsemen.



Tell me that logo wouldn't look great on the side of a football helmet.

In other writing news the short story collection housing my modern day pirate tale, Plundered Booty is now available on not only nook and kindle, but at smashwords as well. Smashwords has a variety of formats from html and pdf for reading on your computer to most e-readers or even palm reading devices. The story has sold steady at the comments I have received have been favorable but I'm a bit disappointed that there are only 2 reviews at amazon and none at Barnes and Noble. If you've read I and my fellow authors would be grateful if you could leave a word or two at either site.

And of course I continue to write and promote my latest endeavor Lettuce Is The Devil which is one part cook book, one part collection of humorous essays, and one part memoir. It is perhaps the easiest thing I've ever written as it is the story of my culinary life.

Stop by either the Facebook page, the twitter feed, or the blog to get an idea of what I'm talking about. The Lettuce Is the Devil movement is catching on and soon I will have some news regarding that fact.

But for now, I wish you happy reading, productive writing, and tasty eating.

10 comments:

Melissa Amateis said...

I did a double-take when I saw the title of this post - my nickname at work is "Mo." LOL

So glad your pursuing the dream!!! I love your Lettuce is the Devil posts...

Janna Leadbetter said...

Go, Travis! So many exciting things happening for you. Yay!

Cloudia said...

Go Travis, GO!





Warm Aloha from Honolulu


Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


><}}(°>

<°)}}><

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hedley, rename your team at once! Not only is it a clever play on words, it's scary and pays homage to a great work of American literature!

Old Kitty said...

"The Lettuce Is the Devil movement is catching on and soon I will have some news regarding that fact."

- The Tomatoes are joining, right!?!?
:-)

Take care
x

Ricky Bush said...

Ya gotta check out the Hutto Hippos if you're looking for unique high school mascots.

Theresa Milstein said...

That is a very cool mascot. I find there are a lot of teams named The Tigers. Not original.

Donna K. Weaver said...

Way to go, Travis. There's certainly nothing wrong with your career choice finally taking off.

Charles Gramlich said...

My team is the Razorbacks. I think that's one's pretty cool.

DrillerAA09 said...

Love the Hedley Horsemen. Although some names are better than others. My mother graduated from Henryetta, OK. At the time, they were the Henryetta Hens...doesn't exactly strike fear into the heart of your opponents.